You can certainly add a sweetener of your choice if you so desire as this recipe can be varied in so many ways. Instead of the lemon, add a bit of cocoa powder if it suits you, or perhaps some finely chopped nuts and or dried fruit.
- 3-4 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. In a bowl, combine the coconut flakes, salt, lemon and vanilla. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites 'til they form soft peaks. Spoon onto the coconut flake mixture.
3. Carefully and gently, using a large spoon, fold the egg whites and coconut mixture together.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop, make little mounds of coconut onto the parchment.
5. Bake in preheated 350° oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the coconut macaroons are lightly golden.
These are fantastic right out of the oven and freeze well too!
This recipe originally appeared in the book Digestive Health with Real Food by Aglaee Jacob.I have made some tweaks and adjustments. I hope you enjoy this healthy treat!❉
Suzanne Anderson is the creator of YIKES! Studio Jewelry. Suzanne has been busy creating for most of her life. After graduating with a BA from Maine College of Art, she worked as a graphic designer and a painter. Suzanne works to ensure that YIKES! Studio creates work that is fun, beautiful, always interesting, and adorns the wearer with joy. Catch up with her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Etsy, or her website at www.yikesstudio.com.